Meal Planning on a Budget

When the hubs and I first got married 2 1/2 years ago I couldn't cook, like at all. 
I had no idea how to cook anything let alone anything healthy. 
I remember going to the grocery store without a list and spending way more than I ever wanted to. 
I had no idea what I was doing. I bought boxed food and processed stuff like that was the only way to make dinners. Plus, we ate out a lot and I wasited about 50% of our groceries every week. 

Meal Planning book from May Designs

When I started this journey I wanted to lose weight on a budget. Chris and I were newly weds and we both didn't really know what a budget was. We learned quickly and I decided I was going to spend 80 to 90 dollars per week for the two of us. I knew healthy foods would cost more but I also knew they were how I was going to lose the weight. 

a few things aren't pictured here. I spend $85 in groceries this week. 

From then on I started meal planning each week which helped me stay with my budget. I make a list of the groceries I needed. It was so much easier this way. 
Now that I'm eating more clean I typically spend a little more on groceries. I spend about 90 dollars per week. Which doesn't bother me. We don't eat out but maybe once a week and we usually eat everything before it goes bad. 

Meal planning can be done with a budget if you stick to it. 
Here's some of my tips to help stay on track with meal planning on a budget.


  1. Great tips, Love the meal planning book. Super cute.

  2. Practically speaking, meal planning is really effective and it's today's trend to save more money without sacrificing our nutrition. For those who are also in practicing the same as mine like this, can help and provide you more tips on meal planning on a budget. Based on my experience, its really effective and highly recommended.